A newbie question to firefox users out there

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 30 13:33:46 BST 2006

Krister Ekstrom wrote:
> Hi and sorry for the cross posting.
> I understand that blind Ubuntu users use Mozilla Firefox with at least
> moderate success with Orca. I have tried the Firefox that comes with the
> latest Edgy, Bon echo beta 2 and on pages that don't contain tables or
> frames or forms, things seem to work very smoothly, however on pages
> with tables, forms, frames etc the cursor tends to get stuck and either
> i hear the same line spoken over and over or i don't hear anything at
> all. Has anyone else the same experience or is there something somewhere
> in Gnome, Firefox or elsewhere that needs to be changed?
> Thanks for any help.

Hi Krister,

I believe this is the current state of Firefox access. A major overhaul
of accessibility support is planned for Firefox 3 (which I guess will be
out in 9 months or so?) See the mozilla access page for more info:
http://www.mozilla.org/access/

I've taken the liberty of copying in Aaron Leventhal, lead of the
mozilla accessibility effort on this mail, so he can correct any
mistakes I've made :)

When we start seeing Firefox 3 code that runs reasonably well, I'd like
to see ubuntu packages made available somewhere (or other simple ways of
installing on Ubuntu) so our user community can help test the bleeding
edge for access issues and feed back to the mozilladevs working on it.

Henrik