Problems booting Edgy

Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson jbsn at aapt.net.au
Sun Oct 22 01:43:38 BST 2006

Hello,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> When I boot my latest Version of Edgy, press F5 and then 3, I hear
>> nothing.
> Just to be clear: you are pressing F5, 3, Enter, Enter, and you hear the
> CD drive spin up to boot right? There are unfortunately no sounds on the
> F5 menu.

Yes. I've had assistance from my sighted wife, just to make sure.

> If you don't hear any sound on startup you likely have a sound card
> problem. In that case you may want to seek help on the general
> ubuntu-user mailing list or the forums. Have you tried the same CD on a
> different computer?

I do have a soundcard problem. I've both a Riptide card and an SB Live
card in the computer. The Riptide card doesn't workwith my Etch
distribution, so I assume that it would be the same with Ubuntu.
However, Ubuntu
goes for the Riptide card. I'd be able to get around that by
specifying another device later on. After booting I end up with a screen
that says "examples" and "install". If I press alt-f1 or alt-f2 nothing
happens. I'm able to go a text terminal and run brltty. I can then
ascertain that Orca hasn.t loaded by doing ps -C orca.

I don't have another suitable computer, so I haven't tried that yet.
However, this is not the first Ubuntu live CD that won't run. I've no
problems with Knoppix or grml.

Regards,

Bertil