Available text-to-speech software for linux

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 13:07:02 BST 2006

In article
<94b38bfa0610090347s3cb6bd2etf45c14ea05bb8e2e at mail.gmail.com>,
   Chris Hayes <cbhworld at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, I was wondering whether there are any broad and up-to-date lists
> on the internet of what text-to-speech software is available for
> linux - or whether anyone can reply with a list of them - or offer
> any suggestions of what ones have the most voices/options or are best
> for certain reasons.

The LarsWiki list is incomplete.  There's also eSpeak:
  http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

You didn't say what language you wanted, but your email's timezone
suggests British English, which eSpeak does.

"Best for certain reasons"?
If you want natural sounding speech then try Festival's large MultiSyn
voices:
  http://www.festvox.org/festival/downloads.html
  http://www.festvox.org/packed/festival/1.95/VOICES.README

For general screen reader use where responsiveness and intelligibility
are more important, some people prefer eSpeak.  I also prefer it for
reading text files and emails, but then I'm probably biased :-)