does anyone know about espeak.

Veli-Pekka Tätilä vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Oct 3 06:13:57 BST 2006

Hi Mike,
Well, eSpeak is a smallish open-source speech synth. It is formant based
unlike Festival, meaning that it builds up the sound out of sine waves
mostly, as opposed to concatenating and interpolating samples of real human
speech. You suffer a big hit in naturalness but in return formant voices
scale much better, in terms of intelligibility and are much easier to edit.
In my experience, formant synths seem to have a smaller memory footprint,
too, and are sometimes more responsive or less CPU intensive depending on
how complex synthesis is being done. Dolphin's Orpheus and Eti Eloquence in
Windows are both formant synths where as the MS, L&H or AT&T synths are not,
for example. In Linux, I think eSpeak might be the only software based
formant solution.

eSpeak is already multi-lingual and I'm working with the author to introduce
rudimentary Finnish support to the synth over time, for example.

The author is Jonathan Duddington <jsd at clara.co.uk> who is also posting on
this list and did so just recently. eSPeak is available as a Ubuntu and
Debian compatible binary release at Source Forge:

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

eSpeak works, with tweaking, with all the apps supporting speech dispatcher
such as Gnopernicus, Orca and Emacs Speak I think. It can also be driven on
the command-line.

I'm going to add eSpeak on my list of speech synth reviews once I become
familiar enough with the program.

PS: Hope top-posting as is typical of groups with VI-people, is OK here too.
I seem to have done just that out of habit, If not, I can easily switch to
heavily snipped in-the-middle posting.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/