eSpeak not Speaking with Speech-Dispatcher although Festival Does: Here're the Logs and Configs

Veli-Pekka Tätilä vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 2 00:26:14 BST 2006

Hi list,
Ok I've made some progress now. Thanks to a recent list post I learned how
to enable universe which made a big difference. Turned out I didn't have
speech-dispatcher installed, though Gnopernicus tried using it. Well now I
do, after finding out how Synaptic is used, and have modded some config
files. speech-dispatcher worked with Flite a while back but I had the same
audio problems as with Festival. Now I'm trying to get it rolling with
eSpeak which I've put in my home folder as a binary.

speak speaks to a wave file but I cannot get it working with speech
dispatcher neither in Gnome via Gnopernicus nor by using the spd-say
utility. I can hear no audio when it is supposed to speak. I read about a
wave file method which writes out the audio data in a file and plays that.
How do you configure this and does it write the file on disk or in memory?

As to the configs, here they are heavily snipped (,meaning all comments
manually removed and work-wrapping corrected in my Windows terminal
emulator). First of all the main config file to which I added espeak and
have made no other changes myself (maybe Gnome did some, who knows):

vtatila at Sandbox:/etc/speech-dispatcher$ cat speechd.conf
IncludePath "/etc/speech-dispatcher/"
LogLevel  3
LogFile  "/var/log/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.log"
DefaultVolume 100

AddModule "flite"        "sd_flite"     "flite.conf"
"/var/log/speech-dispatcher/flite.log"
AddModule "festival"     "sd_festival"  "festival.conf"
"/var/log/speech-dispatcher/festival.log"
AddModule "espeak-generic" "sd_generic"   "espeak-generic.conf"
"/var/log/speech-dispatcher/espeak.log"
DefaultModule espeak-generic

LanguageDefaultModule "en"  "flite"
LanguageDefaultModule "cs"  "festival"
LanguageDefaultModule "es"  "festival"

Include "clients/emacs.conf"
Include "clients/gnome-speech.conf"

And now the espeak specific config file. I got this on the Web and copy
pasted it. The only thing I've changed is the tilde, as speak is in my home
folder. This vtatila is the user I made upon installing Ubuntu and is what
I'm currently using. wonder if speech-dispatcher looks into someone else's
home. Under which user does it actually run speak? Anyway, here's the
config:

vtatila at Sandbox:/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules$ cat espeak-generic.conf
GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | ~/speak -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME --stdin"

AddVoice        "en"    "male1"      "en"
AddVoice        "en"    "male2"      "en-b"
AddVoice    "en"    "MALEÂÂ3"    "en-d"
AddVoice   "en"   "FEMALE1"    "en-f"
AddVoice    "en"   "FEMALE2"   "en-fb"
AddVoice   "en"   "FEMALE3"   "en-fd"
3AddVoice   "en"    "CHILD_MALE"    "en-c"
AddVoice    "en"    "CHILD_FEMALE"    "en-fc"

GenericLanguage "en" "english"
GenericRateAdd 250
GenericVolumeAdd 10
GenericRateMultiply 100
GenericVolumeMultiply 10
GenericRateForceInteger 1
GenericVolumeForceInteger 1
 Debug 0

Finally, here's how the log file looks after trying to use Gnopernicus for a
while and running the spd-say command twice.

[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 74637] speechd:   Reading configuration for
pattern
emacs:*
[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 78147] speechd:   Reading configuration for
pattern
*:gnomespeech:*
[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 78219] speechd:  Configuration has been read
from "/
etc/speech-dispatcher//speechd.conf"
[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 78243] speechd:   Speech Dispatcher started with
2 o
utput modules
[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 78296] speechd:   Openning socket connection
[Mon Oct  2 04:19:54 2006 : 81978] speechd: Speech Dispatcher waiting for
client
s ...
[Mon Oct  2 04:25:09 2006 : 830105] speechd:   Connection closed
[Mon Oct  2 04:27:09 2006 : 737609] speechd:   Connection closed

Hope this helps in troubleshooting at least, <grin>.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/