Orca on laptops.

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 8 16:10:03 GMT 2006

Lukas Loehrer wrote:...
> I would therefore say that CapsLock is the more suitable choice of the
> two as a default orca modifier key on laptops.

I don't wish to belabor this point, but I find that terminology
confusing.  If we remap the CapsLock key, then we are not using the
CapsLock modifier at all!  The question remains, then, "what modifier do
we assign to the (physical) CapsLock key?" in order to use it for orca.

If we remap CapsLock to 'control', then the regular control key will of
necessity have the same effect.   This would also continue to conflict
with the "normal" uses of the control key.

I think we need to resolve this second issue (i.e. of what _modifier_ we
use for orca) before dealing with the first issue (i.e. what physical
key we wish to assign that modifier to).  As I said originally, we only
have a few modifiers to choose from, whatever physical keys we wish to
map them to.  From X.h, we have:

Shift
Lock
Control
Mod1  (usually Alt)
Mod2  (usually 'Meta' ?)
Mod3  (usually NumLock?)
Mod4  (Windows or Menu key, depends on the xkb map)
Mod5  (not sure about this one, either Windows or Menu key on some maps)

I suppose we could use 'Meta', provided we don't mind remapping some
physical key in existing keymaps, since it doesn't seem to be widely
used on PC laptops these days.

The API call which should be used to determine how a particular keysym
maps to a particular modifier bit (for Mod1 through Mod5)  looks like this:

meta_mask = XkbKeysymToModifiers (display, XK_Meta_L);

Note that in theory left and right versions of the 'Meta','Control',
etc. keysyms could be mapped to different mask bits.

best regards,

Bill