Gnopernicus and the Screen Magnifier

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:46:44 BST 2006

Hello, everyone.

Please forgive me if I am doing this incorrectly as I have never used a
mailing list.

This post pertains to Gnopernicus--Screen Magnifier (version 0.11) running
on Ubuntu 5.10.

I am visually impaired college student who has been interested in Linux for
quite a long while.  I actually just recently purchased a new hard drive so
that I could begin using Linux while keeping Windows for myself and
especially for my wife.

I am taking a Linux course at the college which I attend this current
quarter (ending on May 5).  The class (unfortunately) has to use Fedora Core
2 in the computer lab, and I have not had much of a problem at all with
Gnopernicus (I primarily use the magnifier as I have some sight).

The problem which I am encountering is this:  I am trying to set the
magnifier so that it will take up a horizontal area at the top of my screen
(somewhat similar to how the Windows Magnifier does).  My screen resolution
is 1024x768.  My positioning settings for the magnifier (under
Preferences->Magnifier) are as follows:

*****Magnification*****
Zoom Factor X/Y:  5.0

*****Positioning*****
Left: 0
Top: 0
Right: 1023
Bottom: 200

I am not sure if this is set correctly, but it should place a horizontal
strip across the top of the screen.  This does occur, but there is one
slight problem.

I moved the top panel to the bottom of the screen, but for some reason the
magnifier shows a grey area about in the bottom fourth of the screen, so any
windows that are that far downward are not shown; only a solid grey area
appears.  The taskbar panels are not visible at all.

I am not sure as to what the solution to this dilemma would be.

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice/suggestions.

Please take care and have a great day.