Accessibility Summer of Code projects

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Fri May 5 09:36:41 BST 2006

Hi all,

(sorry for cross-posting again)

The Ubuntu Accessibility Team is hosting up to three development
projects during this year's Summer of Code. The SoC scheme is an
opportunity to  break some new ground and so we are focusing on new
tools. There are  technologies coming on line such as XGL/compiz which
we should take advantage of to provide a higher level of accessibility.

The three main ideas are:

 * An XGL/compiz-based desktop magnifier
 * A simple and user-friendly on-screen keyboard
 * A common Assistive Technology configuration utility

See the Ubuntu SoC2006 page for details:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2006

There is still time for students to submit their applications here:
http://code.google.com/soc/student_step1.html

I'll be acting as official mentor for the students, though I'm also
hoping for support from the wider AT community. So if you know any
suitable students please encourage them to apply or if you think you can
help in some other way such as with testing or advice, please join in!
Let's welcome these students to our community and give them a good start
on their projects!

- Henrik
Ubuntu Accessibility Team