Application a11y certification (proposal)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 16 15:47:11 GMT 2006

Hi List,

It's time to start focusing on applications!

Well, we still have some work to get the AT (assistive technology)
applications like GOK, Gnopernicus and Orca working perfectly, but it is
difficult (and in some cases pointless) to work on these tools in
isolation, without involving the wider community of application authors.
  I think doing so will help sharpen the AT tools as well.

The first step in that process is to get the authors and users of
standard applications to think about how well their applications work in
this context. To encourage that I'm proposing a very simple
rating/certification system that will give us a ball-park idea of where
an application is situated in this respect.

I've posted my ideas in the wiki here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Certification

This is largely a brain-dump, so new ideas and feedback are very welcome!

- Henrik