[g-a-devel] Happy patch bonanza

Milan Zamazal pdm at brailcom.org
Thu Jun 29 11:39:02 BST 2006

    EZ> The gnome-speech festival driver just runs "festival -server"
    EZ> and then communicates with it on port 1314.  I don't know how
    EZ> much effort it will be to convert it to use
    EZ> festival-freebsoft-utils,

Just load it on Festival startup (e.g. in /etc/festival.scm).

    EZ> And if one day the italian festival voice will be changed to
    EZ> take utf-8,

Italian Festival voice needn't be changed, Festival should be changed
itself to support UTF-8.

    EZ> However, I have currently no idea how to query a festival voice
    EZ> for the preferred encoding.

The festival-freebsoft-utils call is

  (current-voice-coding)

e.g.:

  festival> (voice_kal_diphone)
  kal_diphone
  festival> (current-voice-coding)
  ISO-8859-1
  festival> (voice_czech_ph)
  czech_ph
  festival> (current-voice-coding)
  ISO-8859-2

    EZ> To me it makes a lot of sense to send out data in UTF-8 by
    EZ> default:

Yes.

    EZ> I think that it's the italian voice that is broken in this
    EZ> regard.

No, actually Festival is broken as it doesn't support UTF-8 input,
someone should fix it (but I'm afraid it's a non-trivial task).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal