IBM Screen Reader and IBM Composite Magnifier

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 04:25:54 BST 2006

Hi Jason and all,
I'll preface my comments my stating that I haven't ever used LSR.  My
understanding is that it was shown at CSUN, and I have no idea how far it's
come since then.  I have however been working with Orca for a number of
months, and I am very pleased with the amount of progress we have seen in
such a relatively short time.  Orca is already working quite nicely with a
lot of popular desktop applications, such as Evolution, Gaim, and the
development versions of open and star office, just to name a few.  It now
offers magnification support, and an intuitive config UI was recently added
as well.

My point is that yes, if time and effort were expended by community members
on LSR, it could potentially challenge Orca, but I believe the best approach
would be for the community as a whole to get behind a single screen reader,
and especially in light of today's announcement by the Gnopernicus team,
see:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2006-June/msg00004.html

I see no reason why that screen reader shouldn't be Orca.