Serious accessibility issue in Gnome 2.15.

Mike Pedersen Michael.Pedersen at Sun.COM
Mon Jul 31 18:50:49 BST 2006

Hi Al,

> I'm running Edgy with Gnome 2.15, and am experiencing major weirdness
> in terms of accessibility when attempting to use it with Orca.

I am also running the latest ubuntu edgy with the latest orca and
finding similar problems.  I've also reproduced our problems running
gnopernicus.  It seems as though there is a serious problem with this
version of gnome 2.15 which is independent of orca.

> 1.  Focus in gaim seems to be messed up.  I was able to create one
> account, a freenode irc account.  But now, after doing that, I can
> never seem to bring focus back to the main buddy list window, as for
> whatever reason, it doesn't seem to appear in the alt tab order.
I am also able to reproduce this problem which I actually reported at
the beginning of last week.  It happens with both orca from CVS head and
gnopernicus.

> 2.  Very strange things are happening in gnome terminal.  Orca tracks
> live events well enough, but if I attempt to use flat review, it's all
> over the place.  The read current line command seems to start at the
> top of the window, rather than at the last location of the cursor.
> Another oddity is that not all of the window is accessible via flat
> review.  in other words, if my screen fills up with data, flat review
> stops before actually reaching the last line on the screen.
> 3.  Open office writer is completely inaccessible.  Orca won't even
> read the menu bar or the help dialog.  If I attempt flat review, all I
> get is "panel".

I am also unable to read content with openoffice with this version of
the desktop.  If this is a general desktop problem and not related to
the particular edgy we are running this will be a serious regression
from gnome 2.14.
Mike