Accessible OpenDocument reader

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jul 23 20:44:14 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-23-07 at 19:37 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> But one thing I noticed is that the reader (or the parser even)
> doesn't like long filenames separted by spaces. I had to rename some
> documents to test it out but this is a minor annoyance that can be
> easily remedied.

I found a solution for this problem. It is deceptively difficult, it
took me several hours to solve. In the end I had to rewrite the script
in Perl.

The new script seems to be neither faster nor slower. It seems to behave
identical to the old one, except that now it doesn't cry when you give
it a file name with a space. It has a new dependency (Perl) but I guess
that's ok because Perl is standard with Ubuntu.

When you give it a file with a space in it, the reader copies it
to /tmp/ giving it a sane name. This is "unelegant", but I swear it's
the only solution I found. I might slow things down for large documents,
but since those documents are slow to parse anyways. Parsing XML is
usually the limiting factor, so the real-life difference is probably
very small. The biggest difference will be felt with files that are very
large, but don't have complex markup. That would mean files with large
images and the like. But those files are not terribly interesting to the
users of a text-based ODF reader.

You can download the new version from the same place as the previous one
(I replaced the file).

http://opendocumentfellowship.org/node/153

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the