So, what's the story on ESD? (was, Re: Help troubleshooting major gnome-speech issue?)

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:36:51 BST 2006

Hello Javier,

Thank you very much, disabling ESD did seem to resolve the issue.  However,
I'm confused because  this machine worked for a long time with ESD enabled
then at some point, it suddenly became a problem.

The system in question is an IBM Thinkpad T43, with an integrated Intel
sound chip that uses the ac97 codec.

Can anyone speak as to what the issue is here?  are we dealing with some
sort of BUG in ESD, a limitation of Alsa or something else?
I would assume that ideally, it would be desirable to keep ESD enabled,
especially if the machine will be used for any multimedia related
activities.

Thanks,

--Al