Future work for mhz, ogra and company, maybe. ;-) Bi-directional A/V

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 26 21:29:04 GMT 2006

Hi,

Here's a wish list idea for Dapper+infinity (or, having never
worked with thin clients, maybe it's closer than I think):

I've recently introduced a graduate student here at Gallaudet
to the awe and mystery that is Ubuntu, and am now explaining
Edubuntu to him...  As I explained the whole thin-client thing,
his eyes lit up and he said something like:

   "Oooo. That would be great for training and testing ASL
   (American Sign Language) interpreters..."

I hope to get more details later, the gist is that Gallaudet has
a very expensive Mac lab for interpreter training that other schools
with a desire to train interpreters cannot afford.  In our lab,
students are in cubicles, so that they cannot see other students.  The
teacher can both broadcast audio and video for the purposes of training
students, and can receive a/v for testing their sign skills.  Or so I
understand.

I'd like to get some of the folks from our lab to see a running LTSP
or "moo cow" setup, and get someone who's familiar with those to see
our lab. (jelkner, ping)

I get the feeling this is probably a long way off, but I thought
I'd perhaps get others fantasizing about the idea, and toying
with it.

P.S. He also mentioned video analysis of signing, and said they're
     currently using a program called "btv" (I think I remembered
     that right) for the Mac.  I explained that there were tools
     for examining video frame-by-frame, but I've never used them.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/KevinCole

 "Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs