Final call for info re accessibility profiles.

Aurelian Radu ricaradu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:58:30 GMT 2006

Hello,

In my experience, it's better to place the magnification window at the
bottom of the screen, so that it splits the display area horizontally, not
vertically. Since the magnifier is mostly used for reading, emphasis should
be put on the width, not the height, of the magnification window and the
magnified area. On my 1024x768 display I use the following settings:

Top = 540
Bottom = 767
Left = 0
Right = 1023.

With these settings, the magnifier doesn't hide the GNOME bottom panel,
except when the mouse is over the magnification window. Anyway, I removed
the bottom panel on my system.

The default settings would be more appropriate for reading Japanese writing,
I think ;)

I use a magnification factor of 8, because I'm very near-sighted. I know
that not all visually-impaired people need to use such a high magnification
factor, but still I think 2 might be too little. Maybe 3 or 4 should be
considered. Unfortunately, gnopernicus is not very accessible from the point
of view of changing settings. You need to open no less than four windows in
order to change zoomer settings. Every time I use this program I punch
myself in the face for not learning to program. Now it's too late, I'm an
old dog, and busy to boot.

A thousand thanks to Luke and the team for the work they've done so far.
I've got more suggestions/questions about gnome-mag, gnopernicus and (why
not?) kmag, if anybody wants to hear them. I've been using the great little
magnifier that comes with Windows for two years now and I wish GNOME/KDE
magnifiers could be as good as that one.

Thanks for your time!

Aurelian Radu