Speech dispatcher and f-lite in Ubuntu

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Sun Feb 19 22:28:12 GMT 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:44:17PM EST, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing to ask for your advice on configuring speech dispatcher to
> work with gnome-speech and f-lite on Ubuntu dapper (6.04 testing version).
>
> Our aim is to support screen reading by default on our main live CD
> (which gets produced in millions of copies and distributed widely).
> Because it is a main-stream product the pressures on disc space are
> intense, so we were not able to include Festival as the default
> synthesizer, but instead opted for f-lite. As you are probably aware,
> this requires us to use speech dispatcher and CVS gnome code.

Ok. Packages are ready for testing. I have put up a repository on my
webspace. Add the following two lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file
in your dapper installation/chroot.

deb http://www.themuso.com/ubuntu/accessibility/ dapper main universe
deb-src http://www.themuso.com/ubuntu/accessibility/ dapper main universe

Binary packages are available for i386 and powerpc. Amd64 users will
have to pull down the source and rebuild, as I don't have access to an
amd64 box at this time.

You will need to have universe enabled in your sources.list file, as
speech-dispatcher has needed depenancies there. If you currently have
gnome-speech installed, an upgrade will update this, and will also
install speech-dispatcher. You will need to manually enable the
speech-dispatcher driver in gnopernicus to use it. You can also test it
with the test-speech binary that comes with gnome-speech. Note that the
test-speech binary is not included in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
gnome-speech packages.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the archive, and let
us get testing.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE