Can't start gnome in Feisty - the saga continues

Krister Ekstrom krister at kristersplace.ws
Wed Dec 13 11:01:48 GMT 2006

Hi folks.
Well, i will try to describe the problem i'm having as far as i can
remember. I have a horrible memory for syntax, error messages in detail
and other geek and non-geek jargon but i'll try as best as i can.
When i'm at the login prompt of Ubuntu Feisty and have typed my username
and password, the system obviously tries to start because my hard drive
snorts but after a little while it stops and nothing further happens.
When pressing "enter" i got back to the login prompt. I had a sighted
friend look at the screen but the only thing he saw were a couple of
empty windows. I thought it wasn't the at-spi bug mentioned here on the
list, but further investigations showed that it had something to do with
the accessibility structure because it complained that at-spi-registryd
wasn't started at the start of the session.
Ok, i thought, so let's try the older At-spi thingy then.
I did so, but the problem still was there. The only exeption is that now
i don't return to the login prompt after pressing "Enter" anymore.
When turning off all accessibility flags, everything seems to work as
normal and Gnome starts up as it should.
Anyone has any suggestions as to what to do? Is there some package one
should look for?
I'm thankful for any help.
Oh, btw, i should perhaps mention that the error occurred after
dist-upgrading from Edgy to Feisty.
/Krister