Screen Magnifier

Veli-Pekka Tätilä vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Dec 7 20:57:00 GMT 2006

Hi,
I'm a SUpernova user myself and have so far yet to find anything comparable
in LInux or OS X. There are five big things that many of these magnifiers
don't have, which are part of Supernova:
1. The thing is able to redraw true type fonts larger on the fly (image
smoothing). So if you zoom in, the fonts won't pixelate or blur at all.
2. Fractional magnification values such as 1.5 x are supported. X and Y
magnification may be adjusted independently, if desired.
3. You can spawn multiple magnified areas to monitor particular portions of
the screen e.g. the status bar (hooked areas).
4. When the mouse is tracked, it starts scrolling before the pointer hits
the edge of the magnified viewport (mouse frame). What this boils down to is
that the mouse is easier to see as it moves in a smallish area in the center
of the screen unless you hit the physical screen edge.
5. Supernova is able to highlight the different points of focus (rectangle,
pointer, caret) in a user specified way using large arrows, boxes, color
tinting and so on (focus highlighting).
6. it let's you switch colors on the fly based on the color circle and
contrast, tints (of foreground and background) or exact color replacements
(color changer).

I'm not trying to advertise SN here. I'm just saying that many of the free
magnifiers have a long way to go to get even close to the functionality of
Supernova or Zoom Text. Personally I would find all of these features very
useful and use most of them on a daily basis in Windows despite being
primarily a speech user. I would very much like to see them added to Linux
magnifiers, too.

Too bad my current virtual PC based setup doesn't have enough horse power to
handle magnification properly. The only physical machine I could dedicate to
LInux would be a 300 MHz Celeron with 128 MB RAM. I guess Gnome is slow as
tar, to directly translate a Finnish saying, on such a system.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/