Questions about Orca Packages?

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 25 01:57:00 BST 2006

Hi Henrik:

First of all:  thanks again for your continued support of Orca.  :-)

> Orca has been approved for main and will indeed be our default screen
> reader. A few formalities remain for getting it on the CD. We will take
> advice from the Orca team as to what is the best version to go with. It
> will be at least as recent as the Gnome 2.16 version, and may even be
> more up to date.

Orca V1.0 will be what gets into GNOME 2.16.  It will basically be Orca
0.9.0 plus any glaring bug fixes.  We'll branch the code soon thereafter
to start doing some refactoring we've been holding off on (e.g.,
SpeechDispatcher server inclusion, managing keystroke definition files,
other key functionality from the requirements document that we haven't
implemented yet, etc.).  We'll also "backport" any changes from CVS HEAD
to the GNOME 2.16 branch and do releases as needed.

Keep in mind our main push for post-GNOME 2.16 will be Firefox 3.  Web
accessibility is the one major gap still left to fill, and we'll be
working very hard alongside our Sun Beijing team as well as IBM to
improve the AT-SPI implementation for Firefox 3.

> other access topics. We are also planning to adopt the upstream patches
> for the at-spi as sudo issue (as long as it doesn't break anything very
> badly).

Are you talking about the patches submitted to GNOME CVS or the stuff
that is Ubuntu specific?

Will