Is that a Ubuntu in your pocket? (was, Re: Edgy Accessibility features)

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 04:28:25 BST 2006

Hi all,
Seeing as we're brainstorming, I just thought I would throw this out for
discussion.

Over the past year, we've seen a trend in the windows world of screen
readers towards portable thumb drive based solutions.  Plug your thumb drive
into any windows based PC, and your screen reader is ready to go, no
installation required-- well, except for video intercepts and things, but I
guess that's another story.

Anyway, at least in theory, that concept is pretty cool, but why not take it
a step further?  How about a pocket sized, thumb drive based distrabution of
Ubuntu, complete with accessibility?  This would mean that one could
basically carry their entire system with them, all their data, their
prefered access solution, etc, plug their thumb drive into any pC that could
boot from USB, and presto!  Instant accessibility and complete comfort on
just about any machine.

I don't exactly know what logistics would be involved in such a project, but
seeing as a live cd already exists, I would think something along these
lines might not be out of the relm of possibility.

--Al