Live CD with AT features: first test

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Fri Apr 21 02:40:08 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:58:58PM EST, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> Finally the AT stuff has landed on the standard live CD! Yay!
>
> I did a quick test of the 5 different modes. The packages seem to be
> there but some tweaking will be needed.

As expected. I wasn't certain that everything would work straight away.

> == High contrast mode ==
>
>  * It starts up directly with HC icons
>  * However it's not using the full HC theme
>   * It should have a large font and HC widgets
>  * We should select a plain background
>  * Some icons are missing (known issue)
>
> The full HC theme is actually installed and can be activated with a few
> clicks, so it should be a minor configuration issue.

Turns out I made a typo in the gconf setting code. Will update the bug
accordingly once I have tested the fix.

> == Magnifier ==
>
>  * It is installed, but not enabled by default
>   * You have to enable it an log out+in, then it works
>  * It has 8x zoom by default; I think we agreed to go with 4x?
>  * It has the poor standard magnifier placement of 320, 0, 639, 479
>   * I think we agreed to place it at the bottom of the screen
>
> After tweaking the setup a bit, it seems to run well, following the
> cursor and all that.

Again, I missed a few things here and there, and some typos. Thats what
you get when you are under a little time pressure to get something in
ASAP after feature freeze. :)

As for zoom, that is an easy fix. However, I am just about ready to give
up on trying to get gnopernicus to play nice with magnification window
values. It simply will NOT pay attention to the default settings that
are given in the gconf schema file included with the package. Why it
sets the zoom correctly, but not the display size, I don't know. This is
all starting to get very frustrating.

One of the problems with this whole thing is that it is not possible to
determine the display size of the user's screen, and set according to
that. We may have to go back to the drawing borad for this one, at least
the mag window size.

> == Screen reader ==
>
>  * Installed, but not activated by default (as above)
>  * More seriously, I could not get it to speak
>  * ESD is disabled as it should be

Missing settings, again. Will update bug once fix is tested and working.

> == Keyboard enhancements ==
>
>  * Starts up on boot and works perfectly as expected
>  * It would be nice to also add the key modifier notification panel applet

Will get this implemented, thanks.

> == On screen keyboard ==
>
>  * Won't start -- from the terminal it crashes with an error
>  * It runs fine on my installed dapper system though, so there is hope

I am getting the same behavior here. Something about receiving an X
window system error. I guess the next thing to try is a fresh install,
to see if the same thing happens. Other than that, we might need to
debug it.

> == Other ==
>
>  * Dasher is also installed by default
>  * Espresso seems to work well with the HC theme; I did not test it
> with the other tools

Once we get all the settings worked out, I intend to put Espresso
through its paces with speech, just to see whether everything is
accessible.

> I'll write this up more properly later in the wiki and start filing bugs
> and looking for solutions ...

Most of which are my typos. :) I would like to only have to push one or
two more revisions through, including one with the appropriate
background colour and cursor size set. The biggest problem as mentioned
above, is getting gnopernicus to play nice with settings that we give
it. I remember it working properly with previous releases, but since I
submitted the patch, there has been a new upstream release, which could
have broken something.

Thanks Henrik for testing.
--
Luke Yelavich