application-based or usergroup-based testing?

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 8 14:35:22 GMT 2005

OK, I'm done messing with the wiki page structure now (though some
cleanup of individual pages clearly remains).

In doing that I started looking a bit more closely at our testing plans
(which we will be developing over the next few weeks). There seems to be
two ways to go on this: tests based on user groups and applications.
Both are probably useful, so I'm wondering if we should go for a hybrid
solution? Of course we would need to make the rationale and border lines
clear.

User-group-based testing -- is useful for discovering general issues
related to installing, booting, logging in and charting which tools can
be useful for certain groups on the desktop and at the CLI. It is also
useful for people who are new to a11y in getting an idea of the issues
involved.

Application-based-testing -- is probably also useful for our key
accessibility apps like Gnopernicus and GOK. These are our cornerstone
tools for providing access to Ubuntu and should be tested in a range of
circumstances with various other applications. It might be easier to
perform rigorous testing of these assistive apps if we have dedicated
tests for them.

So a test for a certain user group might conclude that 'Yes, performing
this task will work for this user, provided GOK works well with
OpenOffice' and would then deffer to the more detailed GOK+OpenOffice test.

Thougts?

- Henrik