[u-a-dev] Vinux 5.0 released

Rob Whyte fudge at thefudge.net
Wed Nov 4 03:43:07 UTC 2015

        ===== The Vinux team is pleased to announce the availability of
the Vinux 5.0 desktop image. =====

This release features not just the Unity Desktop, but Gnome-shell and
the ever popular Gnome 2 fork called Mate, though we primarily will
support Unity only.

Remember we recommend that when possible users perform updates on a
regular basis. This will enable the Vinux team to update packages, and
introduce new features.
Vinux 5.0 is based upon Ubuntu Trusty Tahr 14.0.4.3 LTS.

===== Some of the highlights in Vinux 5.0 =====

New re-designed Vinux boot logo.
Up to date accessibility infrastructure.
Current Gnome-Orca and accessibility framework.
Improvements with Nautilus file manager when processing large folders.

===== Known bugs =====

We are unable to include the Vinux 4.0 console speech changes due to
Vinux 5.0 not using consolekit any longer, please see
http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/speechd-up for more information.
To use speechd-up log in to your desktop session and run sudo speechd-up
from a gnome-terminal or add a startup item to do it automatically upon
login.

There seems to be a bug in the console if you use speakup-tools to save
local speakup settings.
How ever as a work around you can still gain access using sudo or root.

===== Software =====

Firefox 41
Thunderbird 38.3
Unity 7.2.4
Gnome-shell 3.10.4
Mate 1.8
LibreOffice 4.2.8
 Gnome-orca 3.18.1
Espeak 1.48
Brltty 5.2
Speech-dispatcher 0.8.3
Evince 3.12.2
Liblouis 2.6.2
Clam av 0.98.7
Kernel 3.19

===== Availability =====

Vinux 5.0 is available in the AMD64 and i386 architectures
  They contain everything necessary to install the Vinux operating
system and a collection of pre-defined packages aimed at vision impaired
users.
This should be all you need if you can burn and use DVD sized media.
 Vinux 5.0 can be installed from optical media or from a USB pen drive.
The required files can be downloaded via HTTP as entailed below.

===== Support =====

This is a long term support release, the Vinux development team
encourages users to download and install Vinux 5.0
 We are unable to commit to a support date due to lacking development
resources.

===== Contacting US =====

Our mailing list has a supportive community on Google groups at
http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support or you can subscribe by
sending an email to vinux-support+subscribe at googlegroups.com
Follow us on Twitter @vinuxnews.
We are on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Vinux.AccessibleLinux/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/vinux/

===== Acknowledgements =====

  * Rob Whyte,  Vinux project manager.
  * Luke Yelavich. Development team leader.
  * Bill Taylor. Testing team leader.
  * Karen Searle for proofreading and editing our documentation, website
and wiki. Also for designing our new logo.
  * The Vinux team would also like to thank Christopher Chaltain, Burt
Henry, Peter Tesar and members of the Vinux mailing lists for their
ongoing support.

===== MD5 Checksums: =====

* vinux-5.0-amd64.iso e94ef69b512c3ff57aa0210b1444f7e6
* vinux-5.0-i386.isoca44281622246336ecdf9842f62383e5

===== Downloading Vinux =====

Vinux has chosen Source forge for our preferred downloads.
This way users can gain fast access to over 17 mirrors and give us
feedback to user statistics.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vinuxproject/

Thank you for supporting the Vinux project.

Kind regards
Rob Whyte
Vinux project manager