[u-a-dev] Accessible Install

Ken Perry kperry at blinksoft.com
Mon May 28 03:21:05 UTC 2012

I am new to this list and I tried searching the archives to see if anyone
has brought this up.  I was not able to figure out how to search the
archives though.  So I have a couple questions.

First how do I search the archives of this list?

Second before this question I would like to say I like the new control-s
method of starting up Orca for an install.  I do have to  say though I tried
using the old method first and was at a loss of what the problem was till I
did a web search.  I guess my question is this.  Has anyone thought of doing
something like the Mac install in that when your computer boots into the
live CD not only give a drum roll but have voice recorded prompts? .

If the Install is able to get the sound card why not have it say something
like

"Welcome to Ubuntu live"
"If you have a disability and need assistance installing Ubuntu press enter
now or pick the choice that fits you"

Then have

"Accessibility"
"try Ubuntu"
"Install Ubuntu"

If the person picks accessibility there could be a menu to turn all choices
on like on screen keyboard, screen access (Orca), or whatever.  Using again
recorded voice of course not everyone is blind so there would have to be
text as well for other disability's.

What I was thinking is like on the Mac a person without a disability is much
more able to ignore accessibility choices then a person with a disability is
able to ignore not having it.  I guess what I am saying or asking is
wouldn't it be better to not make a person run to a document to learn how to
enable accessibility?

Ken