[u-a-dev] TransferSummit open innovation in accessibility talks

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 22:52:33 UTC 2011

As a side note to the previous post. I've been evangelizing Ubuntu to
my counselor at the Maryland Department of Rehabilitation here in the
US. I'm working with him to get adaptive technologies for my personal
use and for my job search. I'm Legally Blind with Some Usable Vision
and I've been telling him about the capabilities of Compiz. How you
can zoom in and out and invert the colors just like on a Mac or with
the Windows utility ZoomText.

I've been talking to him about Orca and will demonstrate it to him
when I get the chance. This is an area that Ubuntu can really shine
in. If more enthuses is put into improving accessibility software like
Orca and promoting the visual aide capabilities of Compiz, then
Canonical will be in a stronger position to promote Ubuntu for use in
schools, the workplace and government agencies where accessibility
requirements are high.

Lets face it. The companies that develop commercial, closed source
accessibility software are gouging people with excessively high
prices. A free solution that is just as good if not better would get
attention quickly.

--
Michael Haney

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1