Upcoming DMB election planning

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 18 20:18:38 UTC 2024

Hi,

The terms of three current DMB members will come to an end on
2024-03-29, and the remaining four on 2024-06-16.

Further to the DMB's meeting today, I propose the following:

1) Nobody else has volunteered so I will run the election (though if
someone else would like to do so instead, volunteers are still
welcome to step forward!).

2) I will combine the two elections to avoid having to run two DMB
elections a month apart.

3) To make that work, since the results are ranked, the top three ranked
candidates shall take their seats immediately, and the further four
shall take their seats on 2024-06-17.

4) We shall re-stagger the terms by giving the top three candidates a
(approximately) two year term, and the further four winning candidates a
one year term. We'll align the expiry dates a year apart by extending
the terms of the first batch as needed, so they'll end up being a little
over two years. (Rationale: better than reducing the terms of the second
batch to less than even a year and it makes sense to give the higher
ranked candidates the longer term).

5) We'll extend the terms of the existing DMB members until the election
is complete. If individual members wish to stand down, then we'll have
to run the board with a reduced number of members until the election is
complete.

6) If existing DMB members stand for election again (as I hope they
will!), it may happen that some or all of the top three ranked
candidates would end up with two seats at once. To avoid this
contradiction, if this situation does arise then we'll instead extend
the term of any affected expiring seats until 2024-06-17, assuming that
the incumbent agrees to serve on the board until then. If not, then the
elected candidate shall continue with only one seat, with a reduced
number on the DMB, until 2024-06-17.

7) Various specifics above are beyond the remit of the DMB to determine
and require TB approval. If the DMB agree to some or all of the above,
I'll then ask the TB on behalf of the DMB to approve. This is the
minimal effort resolution of the various issues that I think will work
fairly for everyone, but if you can think of a better way to do it, or
would prefer to defer some aspects for now, then please do speak up.

Thanks,

Robie