Ubuntu MATE LTS Re-qualification request

Alex Murray alex.murray at canonical.com
Thu Apr 18 06:39:43 UTC 2024

On Mon, 2024-04-15 at 13:40:58 +0100, Martin Wimpress wrote:

> Hello Technical Board,

Hey Martin,

> I want to request Ubuntu MATE 24.04 qualification as an LTS release, supported
> for 3 years. Key contacts include myself (flexiondotorg), Alan Pope (popey), and
> Bill (franksmcb).
>
> We have a small team of active members on the team and are currently moving
> team collaboration to an Ubuntu MATE space on the ubuntu.com Matrix.
>
> Support is limited to security and significant bug fixes for the MATE package
> set; applications from which are seeded by several of the other flavours.
>
> We also help maintain packaging for several other applications, including
> Arctica Greeter, Ayatana Indicators, Blueman and Yaru.

Thanks for providing the details above, I'm assuming then that you are
committing to supporting the packages listed in
https://ubuntu-archive-team.ubuntu.com/packagesets/noble/ubuntu-mate for
3 years?

>From https://ubuntu-mate.org/support/ it would appear that the main
support mechanism is the ubuntu-mate.community discourse and associated
LP bug reports against these packages.

One question I have to ask is that from what I see over in the Ubuntu
MATE discourse is that various folks seem to think you are focusing on
NixOS now and have abandoned Ubuntu MATE
(https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/plans-for-24-04-lts/27110/14,
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/plans-for-24-04-lts/27110/22) - although
I can see you have been active in the ubuntu-mate github
organisation. Can you clarify what your personal plans are going forward
for Ubuntu MATE and specifically what that looks like for the proposed 3
year timeframe for a possible 24.04 LTS?

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Martin Wimpress
> Ubuntu MATE Technical Lead