Key Ubuntu teams should have an open process for new members

Alex Murray alex.murray at canonical.com
Thu Jun 15 02:56:22 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 13:44:49 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> I don't know where that leaves us on the question of gatekeeping.  What do
> you see that we could do to improve this process?

Thanks for the very detailed response Steve - this is really useful
context.

I think the easiest thing we can do to improve this process for the
Release team is to have these details documented publicly so that the
expectations are clearly laid out. This will then help educate everyone
involved as to what specific functions are performed by the various
teams, and as a result, why it may be necessary to restrict these to
highly trusted individuals who have a personal stake in the outcome of
their actions (ie. as a consequence of being a Canonical employee they
assume the personal risk of losing their job + income etc if they
violate that trust - whereas for a community member, the biggest risk is
that they get kicked out of the community and so lose access to their
hobby).