Fwd: Expiry of 4 DMB members on the 12th of May - election needed?

Dan Streetman ddstreet at ieee.org
Mon May 9 22:12:48 UTC 2022

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 4:22 PM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 03:41:59PM -0400, Thomas Ward wrote:
> > The Developer Membership Board members (myself included) expire from the DMB
> > in under six days - is an election required for new DMB members, or will the
> > TB simply extend our current expirations until an election can be held?
>
> Thanks Thomas for raising this.
>
> We need to run another election. We can arrange the details at our next
> DMB meeting I guess. From the TB end, I assume it's fine for the DMB
> just to go ahead and run their own election again unless there is any
> objection?
>
> In the meantime, I (acting for the TB) can just extend the current
> DMB memberships for as has been done in the past - unless there is any
> objection?

Well, maybe it's just me, but it seems like there is at least an
appearance of conflict of interest, as you're on both the TB and DMB?

So I guess that yes, I do object to both questions, and I also suggest
that someone from the TB who isn't also on the DMB should handle both
of these questions - both deciding if it's appropriate to extend the
expired DMB member's terms (and performing the action) as well as
actually executing the DMB election. I certainly don't feel it is
appropriate for a DMB candidate to also be the administrator of the
election.

I also should point out that if the TB wants to continue to 'own' the
DMB membership, the TB might want to add something to its calendar so
the next election happens in a timely manner? Or, alternately, the TB
might want to simply delegate membership decisions to the DMB itself,
and then the DMB might want to have some kind of 'administrator' who
would be responsible for (and keep track of) these kind of
administrative issues.