New Official Flavor Process Issues (Was Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix packages)

Joshua Peisach itzswirlz2020 at outlook.com
Thu Jul 28 02:29:27 UTC 2022

I also want to mention that the ubuntu-mentors team is long gone. For new developers, they now have barely any place to start to find sponsors.

New devs who want patches for contributions (and to later apply for privileges) have to jump into #ubuntu-devel (since -motu is dead basically), and nag a person to help them. 80% of that time that person is likely a canonical employee and one who knows literally nothing about the package being tested, has never heard about it or has never tried it.

Speaking of the ubuntu-mentors team, it is also kind of disgusting IMO that I can't find the mailing lists for the team which includes why the team closed. It feels as if it makes open developers feel more closed off.

I know this is not exactly "Technical Board" discussions and this brings up a lot of other issues, but I want to lay the ground as to what we are dealing with.

For the first time, we have community making flavors. And this is community; all flavors that exist are either born because yes, like Kubuntu and Xubuntu in the old days when Ubuntu was young and new. New flavors often have devs who have partners or already have developer status in Debian.

For a new developer like me, it can feel like jumping through hoops. I've had to help maintain the Cinnamon desktop suite in Debian, along with Fabio Fantoni and we do not have upload privileges despite being part of the Debian Cinnamon Team. Kind of makes no sense to me.

Again; I know this is not the proper place to mention these "newcomers" but I just want to show you what the vision currently looks like for me.

-Josh