Adding packages to desktop-common

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 21 00:30:39 UTC 2018

Hi Simon,

Thanks for writing this up.

Consistent with my previous comments, I don't think there should be an aging
period by default for additions to the desktop-common seed.  I would much
prefer to see a policy that consists of:

 - all additions to the seed should be publically announced.
 - all additions to the seed must be reverted in response to objections from
   any of the flavors, to allow a consensus to be reached.
 - additions of packages that substantively change the runtime behavior of
   the seed - such as added daemons - should be subjected to additional
   scrutiny, and in those cases there should be an aging period prior to
   committing the change.

I believe this preserves the rights of the flavors to veto changes that they
disagree with, while optimizing for the common case and preserving
development velocity when the changes are non-objectionable.