Application for official community flavour status for budgie-remix

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 18:48:25 UTC 2016

Hi David,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:55:30PM +0100, David Mohammed wrote:
> To all members of the technical board,

>   On behalf of the budgie-remix team, we would like to bring to your
> attention our Ubuntu based distro - budgie-remix - which uses the superb
> budgie-desktop environment.

> We would like to pursue official community flavour status - "Ubuntu
> Budgie".  The reason for this early application is because of a Wimpey
> recommendation that we pursue official status early in the 16.10 cycle
> rather than wait for 17.04 or later.

> We have prepared a short presentation - a libreoffice 5.1 based impress
> slide-deck - also available in PDF.

> The presentation has several https based links to view external content
> such as an excellent video-short.

> These are available to download and view via a shared google-drive folder:

>  - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5yvyAZqOxQrQVFDVGlhUnRhTjQ

FWIW I think it would be more conducive to discussion with the Technical
Board if you would lay out the salient points directly in your email.

In looking over the google presentations you provided, I think it's
premature to consider an Ubuntu Budgie official flavor.  As I understand it,
your current build relies on a number of packages that are not in the Ubuntu
archive, and thus does not currently even qualify for the definition of an
"Ubuntu remix" as it was set out by Canonical.  It also appears, based on my
reading of your presentation and an 'apt-cache search budgie', that all of
the key packages defining this flavor which your team would be responsible
for maintaining are not currently in the Ubuntu archive.  I don't see any
way that the Technical Board would give its seal of approval to an official
Ubuntu flavor without your team first establishing a track record of
effectively maintaining your component packages within the Ubuntu community.

My recommendation is that you should focus on getting your packages fully
integrated into the Ubuntu archive, including any changes to the image build
infrastructure (livecd-rootfs package, ubuntu-cdimage project) necessary to
build official budgie remix images, then ask the Technical Board to revisit
this question based on your observable progress.

Hope that helps,