The future of the powerpc architecture in Ubuntu

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 14 20:39:34 UTC 2016

Hello,

At a Canonical CDO Core sprint last week, we had a follow-up discussion
about the status of the powerpc architecture in Ubuntu.  Based on the
conversations that Adam has had with other upstream powerpc contributors, he
believes there is no reasonable possibility of keeping the Ubuntu powerpc
port in working order on a community basis.

Adam, Stéphane, and I agreed that we should announce that the powerpc port
will not be included in 17.04, and turn it off in the archive for zesty as
of feature freeze.  If there is anyone else willing to invest in keeping the
port alive, this will at least give them some time to get organized; and if
not, it will give everyone else time to make other arrangements for their
Ubuntu powerpc systems.

I thought it would be most appropriate that this announcement be sent under
the auspices of the TB, which is why the three of us consulted (we had
quorum at the sprint ;).  But I didn't want to send an announcement without
giving Marc and Kees a heads up!

If you have any questions or think this needs further discussion, please say
so.  Otherwise I'll plan to send an announcement to ubuntu-devel-announce
tomorrow.

Thanks,