Making it easier to produce non-infringing derivatives

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Nov 25 21:14:00 UTC 2015

Unlike distributions such as Fedora and OpenSuSe, right now there's no
clear mechanism for stripping trademarks and branding from Ubuntu. This
results in a couple of problems:

1) It discourages developers from deriving from Ubuntu, since the effort
required to identify all the relevant branding may be disproportionate
to the perceived benefits of using Ubuntu.

2) Anyone who *does* produce an Ubuntu derivative is more likely to
leave some aspects of the original branding intact, increasing the risk
of confusion amongst consumers and potentially harming the Ubuntu brand.

I'm proposing a multi-stage approach to this. First, a sweep through the
default install looking for all brand-related uses of the Ubuntu
trademarks, visual or text. The visual trademarks would be moved into a
single separate branding package, with the additional aim of reducing
any duplication of images and making it easier to provide consistent
branding. Text-based trademarks would be generated on the fly by
referring to a branding file (the LSB data would probably suffice for
this, but introducing a hard dependency on LSB packaging seems like a
bad thing).

This ought to give a good overview of the kind of ways that trademarks
are used. If we're happy with the state of affairs at this point,
packaging guidelines should be updated to indicate that no new packages
directly containing trademarks should be uploaded - instead they should
refer to the ones contained within the branding packages. The removal
process can then be extended over the remainder of main and universe.
The final step would be review of a de-branded distribution by Canonical
legal in order to ensure that there are no remaining objectionable uses
of trademarks.

>From a practical perspective, to begin with this would require upload
sponsorship. I'm happy to go through the process of regaining my upload
access to universe and then main if people feel comfortable with that,
but I understand if that seems problematic and will happily complete
this via sponsors.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org