MRE: OpenStack Oslo libraries

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 23 16:11:52 UTC 2015

Hi TB

Alongside the core OpenStack packages already covered under a MRE for
stable updates, I'd like to include all of the Oslo libraries used by
these packages.

Oslo is the shared library project for OpenStack, promoting re-use of
common code via python modules rather than code-syncing.

For each OpenStack release, a specific set of Oslo library versions
are identified as associated with the OpenStack release; branches are
maintain upstream in the same fashion as for core OpenStack projects
(stable/kilo for example).

In terms of testing, we'd undertake the same testing we apply to core
OpenStack packages for any updates into these libraries; only patch
level releases would be covered under the MRE - for example:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/oslo.messaging/+bug/1467959

upgrades 1.8.1 -> 1.8.3 for Ubuntu vivid.  The current list of Oslo
packaging includes:

python-oslo.concurrency
python-oslo.config (oslo.config < wily)
python-oslo.context
python-oslo.db
python-oslo.i18n
python-oslo.log
python-oslo.messaging (oslo.messaging < wily)
python-oslo.middleware
python-oslo.policy
python-oslo.rootwrap (oslo-rootwrap < wily)
python-oslo.serialization
python-oslo.utils
python-oslo.versionedobjects
python-oslo.vmware

I don't expect the frequency of patch releases to be large; typically
there are a flurry post release day, and then things settle down.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this MRE request!

Regards

James
- --
James Page