Ubuntu Fan Updates for Trusty and Vivid

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 19 13:48:37 UTC 2015

Hey Andy,

Andy Whitcroft [2015-07-12 14:55 +0100]:
> > > We also propose to apply the corresponding changes for the
> > > iproute2 package in lock step in both 15.04 and 14.04 LTS.
> >
> > This is the bit that causes me most worries.
> >
> >  - What is the precise nature of these changes? Does it change the
> >    default behaviour in any way or just add new options?
> >
> >   - Does this touch any code paths for other functionality? How intrusive is this, is there a patch to look at?
> >
> >   - Why does this need changes to such a central utility if we are
> >     going to need a separate ubuntu-fan package anyway?
>
> The mappings between Fan (overlay) addresses and local (underlay) addresses
> needs to be supplied to the kernel, normally this kind of link level
> information is loaded into the kernel via netlink and commonly by the ip
> application; in particular the other configuration we need to load for
> the tunnel is supplied via this interface.  The modifications there are
> adding decoding of userspace specifications for this mapping and loading
> it into the kernel via netlink, and allowing those to be visualised.
> Those not using these new interfaces should not be affected and we do not
> modify any semantics for any of the existing interfaces (modulo any bugs
> in the implementation thereof).
>
> The delta for the trusty iproute2 package should be here now:
>
>   http://people.canonical.com/~apw/misc/fan-sru/trusty-iproute2-3.12.0-2ubuntu1.debdiff

Thanks, this looks isolated and not affecting existing code. I take it
for the final SRU these two related patches will be merged into one?

> > Do you plan to do any other changes besides that, i. e. will this be
> > suddenly used by existing installations through some other packages
> > (LXC and the like)? Or will this remain an "opt-in" feature for 14.04?
>
> The intent is that this is available for LXC et al to opt-in to, they
> will not be forced to use it.  It is intended to be easy to enable and
> use however.

So no change (and possible disruption) of existing systems.

Thanks for the clarifications! They certainly helped so that I feel
much less concerned about this [1]. I have no further
questions/objections to this. Unless other TB members chime in with
questions and concern, please go ahead with this.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] SCNR: It's amazing how many crutches, hacks, and pain people have
come up with/endured in the past decade to keep IPv4 alive instead of
JFDI'ing IPv6 (or in this case, just doing IPv6 in the cloud and
tunnelling through IPv4)... FAN seems to be yet another case, and this
time entirely vendor specific thing. Can't say that makes me happy,
but I don't put a veto based on my gut feeling :-)