Adding a hook to ubuntu-drivers GUI for a driver PPA

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 19 20:18:58 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Jorge O. Castro [2015-08-18 14:13 -0400]:
> - An additional entry in the graphics driver dialog that says
> something similar to "The latest upstream driver from Nvidia), this
> selection would never be the default.

We already have this in Ubuntu itself: We have several versions of
nvidia-*, with one of them being the "recommended" one by
ubuntu-drivers-common.

> We would then update the PPA according to Nvidia's upstream release
> schedule.

Big NACK, for the reason Stéphane pointed out. I see nothing that
would stop these packages getting into stable-updates properly,
especially if they are new upstream versions that don't change
existing systems (unless you opt-in, of course).

I. e. I do support the idea of supplying the latest graphics drivers
especially to LTSes, but within the Ubuntu archive, not via PPAs.
Of course PPAs are fine for pre-release testing, but enabling them as
a way to work around Ubuntu policies is a dangerous and slippery
slope.

Thanks,

Martin