docker in 14.04

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 9 11:57:07 UTC 2015

Hi All

After review and some further discussion within the team, with some
members of the Technical Board and with docker upstream it would
appear there are two options for Docker updates.

1) Drop docker from the Ubuntu archives and tell people to use
upstream packages.

2) Keep docker up-to-date in the archive, with some rigour around
upgrade and regression testing.

Ubuntu is by far-and-away the most popular docker container base and
operating system for running docker on; I think we need to recognise
this as a community and embrace the docker ecosystem as part of the
Ubuntu distribution.

The majority of docker users want the latest 'stable' release, they
are used to working this way (for now - see last part of policy
proposed below) and at this point in time, we should be supporting
this, not hindering it, without wasting multiple man-years of effort
trying to back port invasive security fixes and bug fixes to something
that people are realistically not going to use that much.

So I'm proposing the following stable update policy for docker in Ubuntu
:

1) The package maintainer of docker will work in-conjunction with
docker upstream to identify at any given point in time what the best
stable release is for Ubuntu.  This allows us to deal with the 'new'
releases of docker alongside the previous 'stable' release and switch
things at the right time.

2) This release of docker will be packaged for the development release
and as a back port for all released versions of Ubuntu still under
support back to 14.04.

3) As part of the SRU testing process, we'll perform automated upgrade
testing of docker to ensure that a cross section of popular
application containers work both before and post upgrade, as part of
the upgrade AND being rebuilt pre and post upgrade.

We should operate this policy until 16.04 release, at which point we
need to review whether its still appropriate or whether docker
development velocity is now shelving off, and we can seriously
consider a true stable docker maintenance approach for 16.04.

I've CC'ed Eric and Nathan from docker upstream so they can both
comment on this proposal as well.

I hope that this approach can be endorsed by the Technical Board and I
look forward to your responses!

Regards

James
- --