MRE request: mysql-5.5

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Mar 9 03:48:49 UTC 2014

On Saturday, March 08, 2014 11:17:01 Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 08/03/14 10:57, Adam Conrad wrote:
> > If the argument is "customers might want it!" then we need to accept
> > that we should also be *maintaining* it, and if we're going that way,
> > we should be looking at switching wholesale, so we're not maintaining
> > two versions.
>
> We've seen that for some applications it is worth bringing new versions
> into the realm of easy access during the life of the LTS.
>
> For example, for OpenStack, we plan to maintain multiple versions during
> the life of 12.04 and 14.04. And that's really useful. However, it
> currently requires that people add a special archive.
>
> To my mind the current proposal is no more than saying "mysql-5.6 will
> be available in a separate archive". The proposal uses Universe the way
> it should be used - the code is available, and packaged, but for
> whatever reason we don't currently want it in main. It does leave open
> the option, however, for us to make the same commitment to it as full
> maintenance, later on, if it turns out that "customers DO want it!" :)
> So I would be supportive of the more open-ended approach in universe.

Except Universe isn't a separate archive.  It's a component of the main Ubuntu
archive.  Two versions of major library programs is something we've worked
very hard to avoid in an LTS in the past.

I'd suggest put it in a PPA for now (separate archive) and if later there is
enough interest it can be backported from "U" or later and even promoted to
updates if that's wanted/agreed.  There's no need to ship 5.6 in Universe for
14.04 just because maybe someday it'll be wanted.

Scott K