Enable hibernation

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 7 19:30:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 07:35:43AM -0500, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

> Besides the software and user experience issues above, I seem to recall
> that the Canonical OEM testing was uncovering a lot of hardware where
> hibernation was unreliable.  So much so, in fact, that having it disabled
> by default and only enabled once a particular hardware model passed the
> hibernation stress tests made sense at that time.

> Perhaps firmware has improved since then. Maybe we could get the results
> of recent OEM testing and see what percentage of current machines have
> reliable hibernation?  This would allow us to re-evaluate the decision
> with some non-anecdotal facts and would help determine if the software
> issues are worth fixing or not.

I hadn't heard of this, but I would be surprised if firmware issues were
causing problems with hibernate reliability - since hibernate almost
completely bypasses the firmware, whereas suspend relies entirely on ACPI
support in the firmware.

In any case, I'm skeptical that this is a situation that warrants TB
intervention.  I think that the current implementation is reasonable given
the technical constraints, and that it's clear what someone interested in
re-enabling hibernate can do to make the option more reliable, addressing
the reasons why it was initially disabled.  This seems like a good topic for
a session at the next vUDS, to make sure the stakeholders all have a chance
to discuss their concerns together - provided that there is someone willing
to do the work to improve handling of out-of-date kernels, insufficient free
memory, etc.