ia32-libs

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 6 06:00:15 UTC 2014

Phill,

On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 06:42:18PM +0000, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> hope you have had a great time over the festive season. Sadly, the British
> government and IT projects that work seem mutually exclusive.  I did try
> the multi-arch approach to solve the issue of running said government's
> portal.  I'm not sure how much input Canonical has on the push for use of
> linux / F/oss within the government departments.  It was, as is usual for
> politics, announced with much sound bites, but...  as usual we have seen
> very little.  The case of H.M.  Revenues being one.  It cannot work with
> the 'proper' libraries.  In an ideal world, some one would get a kick up
> the backside to do the work - but, until then; we have to use what is
> given.

For the past three cycles, the ia32-libs package has been nothing but a
wrapper that pulls in the corresponding multiarch versions of a set of
libraries.  The problem with ia32-libs is that the set of libraries it
pulled in is arbitrary, and unrelated to what's needed by any given user.
It just /happened/ to work for most users, because it included the 32-bit
libraries that were most commonly needed.  The problem is that it included a
large number of them.

There was no functionality provided by the ia32-libs package which is not
available by installing the individual 32-bit libraries directly.  The only
question is which libraries you need for your particular application.

If you need help determining which libraries you need to install, I would
suggest asking on one of the Ubuntu support forums such as askubuntu.com.