Standing SRU for new MAAS releases.

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 19 16:29:36 UTC 2014

Hello Andres,

thanks for the updates. (Also, I was on holiday, sorry for late reply)

Andres Rodriguez [2014-08-13 19:58 -0400]:
> > >    testing.
> > >    We will provide an upgrade path that "just works".
> >
> > Can you please expand that? I. e. how do you make sure that existing
> > MAAS deployments that were done with earlier versions continue to work
> > with proposed new versions? How much do protocol changes affect
> > particular hardware, i. e. up to which degree can this be tested
> > automatically with e. g. a bunch of commodity hardware or even QEMU,
> > and which parts would need the actual supported set of hardware,
> > things like ppc64el or ARM servers, or other hardware which is hard to
> > get into a CI environment?
> >

> We currently maintain backwards compatibility with all of the components,
> so every upgrade will yield a working MAAS that continues to work as
> expected. We currently do manual testing for upgrades, but we are in the
> process of adding automated upgrade testing to our CI.

How do you do the manual upgrade testing, and what's the rough
structure of testing this automatically then? The "what" is quite
clear now, I'm still interested in the "How" for regression-testing
newer versions against existing deployments.

Thanks!

Martin