Requiring Core dev membership for TB members

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Sep 30 12:14:08 UTC 2013

On Monday, September 30, 2013 10:29:25 Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2013/9/30 Micah Gersten <micahg at ubuntu.com>:
> > I'd like to propose that there's a requirement for TB members to be
> > Ubuntu core developers due to the nature of the responsibilities of the
> > TB (Microrelease exceptions, technical policy).  The one exception to
> > this would be Mark in his unique position as sabdfl.  I've added this to
> > the TB agenda and will endeavor to be at the meeting.
>
> Mark vets the list of candidates and there's also an election. If the
> election shows that they're not only suitable, but even preferred over
> other candidates, I think that's all we really need to know.

While I agree that a hard requirement might be too strong (I can think of MOTU
who choose not to apply for core-dev for social reasons and people with the
technical background to be core-dev, but who choose not to based on principle
of least access (mdz, for example) and a perhaps a few others), it is
important that the Technical Board be, well technical.  If you look at the
things we expect a core-dev to know, I think they kinds of things that SHOULD
be pre-requisites for being on the Tech Board.

Mark can nominate who he wants, of course, but I think that Tech Board members
who don't meet reasonable technical standards will undermine the perceived
legitimacy of the Tech Board with the broader development community.

Modulo a few exceptions, I think Micah's suggestion is a good one.

Scott K