SmartScope Server Side Application

Paul Greindl paul.greindl at riseup.net
Wed Nov 6 21:12:08 UTC 2013

Then one may ask the question: how does it come that major features in
Ubuntu rely on closed source software that is developed and run behind
closed doors in the first place?!

I'm absolutely not satisfied with this answer and represent the opinion
that there shouldn't be any need for closed source software to make
Ubuntu function as intended! If the smart scopes rely on closed software
it would only be consequent to open up that software as well.

What's Canonicals plan for this mess? You have just gone silent about
this flaw. There are many things a community can obviously tolerate
(Ubuntu One is closed source, despite the wish to open it up, Amazon
Shopping lens is opt-out instead of opt-in, the list goes on...), but I
think with closed source software at the heart of Ubuntu Canonical has
gone too far! Wasn't Ubuntu a project for collaborating for the benefit
of all? May I quote Jono Bacon: "/...but our greatest strength in Ubuntu
is our community and together we can do this.../" What happened to that?
We don't even have access to the source code anymore, not quite what I
would call collaboration!

And to make one, maybe obvious thing clear: I do want just the best for
Ubuntu! That said I hope to hear back from you or someone else who might
be able to explain this and maybe, if Ubuntu is still Ubuntu and still
about collaborating and being a real alternative to the rest out there,
find a solution.

Thank You!

Paul