Updated release management straw man for TB consideration

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Mar 12 01:44:28 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 01:33:05 AM Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>   * optional newer versions of major, fast-moving and important platform
>     components. For example, during the life of 12.04 LTS we are
>     providing as optional updates newer versions of OpenStack, so it is
>     always possible to deploy 12.04 LTS with the latest OpenStack in a
>     supported configuration, and upgrade to newer versions of OpenStack
>     in existing clouds without upgrading from 12.04 LTS itself.

On this one point, I'd like to mention that "optional newer version of ... "
is exactly what we've oriented backports towards.  Since we've implemented the
NotAutomatic feature (I think it was Maverick, but definitely before Precise)
we can put newer versions of packages into backports and users only get the
newer version when they request it.

I believe that we have infrastructure and process largely in place to address
this point already.

Scott K