Flavor Review Request for Ubuntu GNOME

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 4 23:04:09 UTC 2013

On 4 March 2013 17:41, Allison Randal <allison at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2013 02:14 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>> Thanks all for the meeting today. One thing we didn't discuss was
>> whether we could use the name 'Ubuntu GNOME Edition'.
>
> Historically, the word "Edition" has a very specific meaning for the
> Ubuntu project (briefly referenced in the trademark policy:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy), in that it distinguishes
> domains of use like Ubuntu Server Edition, or the old Ubuntu Netbook
> Edition.
>
> Ubuntu GNOME is a "Flavor" rather than an "Edition". Traditions can
> change, of course, so it's not an obvious "No", but it needs more review
> to get to an obvious "Yes, that's a totally fine name".
>
> Is there a reason you want "Edition" in the name? Rather than just
> "Ubuntu GNOME", similar to "Ubuntu Studio"? Or, the popular flavor
> naming pattern "Gnubuntu"?

I don't think the GNU Project would be pleased with calling our
project "Gnubuntu". To my ear, Gubuntu sounds the same as Goobuntu
(Google's internal Ubuntu image that was reported on by the media
several times last year) and is therefore confusing.

"Ubuntu GNOME" would be fine with me; in casual conversation I have
left off the "Remix" anyway.

I did talk with Karen briefly when we started this project six months
ago. The GNOME Foundation Board didn't like the name GNOMEbuntu which
was our preferred name, but I believe she and the Board are ok with
'Ubuntu GNOME' (assuming I'm not reading this out of context):

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2012-August/msg00066.html

Thanks,
Jeremy