Release Cycle Changes

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 05:21:22 UTC 2013

Scott Kitterman [2013-02-28 16:28 -0500]:
> As you are all no doubt aware, a Canonical manager has proposed significant
> changes to the development and release process for the entire Ubuntu project:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-February/036537.html
>
> Is the decision about this proposal one the tech board will be making or will
> it be made by Canonical corporate outside the Ubuntu governance process?

As a member of both Canonical and the TB I haven't heard an official
word about this yet. My expectancy is certainly that changes of this
magnitude should be discussed and blessed by the TB. But please let's
first have the detailled discussions about the pros, cons, and
implementation details at the ML and UDS.

However, it's certainly Canonical's prerogative to decide which kind
of support model for stable releases it's willing and able to fund. So
community and TB discussions have to come to come to a conclusion
which will actually work in practice under the boundary conditions of
what and how much of the work gets funded.

Martin