Giving upload rights to non-Ubuntu members

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Mon Jul 22 23:15:55 UTC 2013

Hi Iain,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:07:01PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> The Developer Membership Board (DMB) has developed a proposal to allow for
> the granting of per-package upload rights to individuals without the
> (currently implicit) granting of Ubuntu membership.  The intention is to
> lower the barrier to entry as we would no longer need to assess against
> the "significant and sustained contribution" threshold, which is commonly
> understood to mean six months of active participation in the Ubuntu
> community.  We'll be able, for example, to give greater weight to upstream
> contributions or to participation in other distributions (essentially, to
> concentrate on technical skill).

> We don't propose to change any existing memberships, nor to alter MOTU or
> core-dev in any way.

> The general way this works is as follows (some exceptions come after).
> Individuals, when they apply to the DMB for packageset or PPU rights, will
> be considered separately for their upload access and for Ubuntu membership
> (the latter being optional, and usually not explicitly requested).  There
> will be some necessary changes to team structure:

>   - Create an "~ubuntu-uploaders" team which is a member of bug control and
>     similar teams. Direct members are ~ubuntu-dev, uploaders without membership
>     and non-membership (see later) packageset teams.
>   - Create an "~ubuntu-developer-members" team to be a member of any membership
>     related teams (ubuntumembers, ...). Direct members are members who were
>     granted membership by the DMB and ~ubuntu-dev.
>   - ~ubuntu-dev is for PPU who also have membership, and membership (again, see
>     later) most packageset teams. As now, it's the team which will be polled to
>     elections for development governance bodies (DMB & TB).

While I understand the point of wanting to be able to grant PPU rights to
developers who have not yet demonstrated the "sustained contribution"
required for Ubuntu membership, the Ubuntu membership is also a proxy that
ensures every Ubuntu uploader has signed the Code of Conduct.  Do you intend
to enforce this requirement for non-member uploaders?

Cheers,