SRU Minor Release Exception for Ceph

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Tue Feb 19 13:46:51 UTC 2013

2013/2/8 James Page <james.page at ubuntu.com>:
> Background
> - ----------
>
> Ceph was included in Ubuntu main during the 12.04 release cycle; since
> then upstream Ceph have started maintaining LTS releases of Ceph;
> Quantal shipped with the 'argonaut' LTS release and Raring will ship
> the 'bobtail' LTS release.

What does LTS mean for Ceph? How long do they expect to support it for?

Are the bobtail and argonaut releases indicative of the frequency of LTS
releases?  In other words, can we reasoably expect to have a fresh LTS
in each Ubuntu release?

If not, have you given any thought to how you'll handle the situation
where our release cycle doesn't line up well with upstream's LTS
releases?

> Ubuntu Ceph Testing
> - -------------------
[...]
> In addition, we are currently setting up regular testing of Ceph
> 'standalone' in multi-node configurations to support more in-depth
> testing of ceph itself.  This will include basic smoke testing of key
> components to start with and may expand to include executing upstream
> regression tests on the packages we publish/propose for inclusion in
> the Ubuntu archive.

I think this is a must-have. If upstream already has a good test suite,
we should as far as possible be using that in our testing as well.

--
Soren Hansen             | http://linux2go.dk/
Senior Software Engineer | http://www.cisco.com/